Tips on Arranging the Wedding of Your Dreams.
Following is an overview timeline of the most essential details you’ll need to handle during the months leading up to your nuptials.
A step by step guide and advise on planning a successful destination wedding, obviously not all weddings and situations are the same you should leave some room to adjust accordingly to your situation:
Six Months to a Year Before Wedding
• Decide on a budget and determine the style, setting and size of your wedding ceremony.
• Select a destination and a wedding date.
• Research the marriage licensing requirements for your destination. Some locations will send you an application beforehand. Request an application from the foreign consulate, chamber of commerce or tourism department.
• Request information from hotels and resorts and evaluate the wedding packages
• If your schedule does not permit oversight of planning and the destination venue doesn’t offer an on-site coordinator, hire a hometown or local planner from the location to handle arrangements.
• Select your bridal party.
• Draw up a guest list and send out save the date cards.
• Select proper wedding attire.
Four to Six Months Before
• Negotiate and finalize ceremony and reception details with your vendors and/or wedding service providers. Couples should clearly communicate any touches they feel will add their signature to their event. Collect signed contracts making sure any special arrangements you requested are specifically outlined.
• If you are not working with a travel specialist or a wedding coordinator, call several airlines to negotiate a group fare. Do the same for the hotel or resort you will be staying in. As group rates are typically based on availability, you should book as early as possible.
• Finalize your guest list and order wedding invitations, announcements and thank you notes.
• Confirm any arrangements made with the photographer and videographer you’ve selected.
Two to Four Months Before
• Obtain all necessary legal documentation. This includes passports and/or visas.
• Mail out invitations and begin directing guests to your wedding website, if applicable.
• Find out if you’ll need any vaccinations prior to travel and get inoculated accordingly.
One to Two Months Before
• Have your final dress fitting. This is the perfect time to decide on how you intend to ship your dress (either carry-on or professional shipping such as FedEx or UPS). If you need to ship your dress, choose a courier that offers tracking.
• Decide on a hairdo that will complement your dress.
• Shop for your travel wardrobe.
Two Weeks Before
• Contact necessary departments for “change-of-name” for your driver’s license, social security, etc.
• Confirm travel and wedding arrangements.
One week before
• Contact the hotel and wedding vendors (photographer & videographer, musician, florist, etc.) to confirm details. Make arrangements with the officiant to meet before the ceremony.
• If you have a large number of guests attending, arrange guest seating.
• Make sure your wedding party’s attire is in order.
• Visit with your consultant and officiant.
• Apply for your marriage license.
• If you’ve shipped your wedding dress, locate the box and hang the dress in a cool dry area to allow wrinkles to loosen.